Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Coming Soon To Being Carter Hall


Well folks, I was doing some thinking about the blog over the last few days and have come up with some features and content which I hope to introduce or implent in the coming weeks and months.

-Introduction/"Who Is Hawkman?" -- The inspiration for this post.  Even though I have stated that I was not (and to certain levels still am not) a Hawkman expert, I never thought about those who might find this blog who literally have no idea who Hawkman is.  So I am going to be working up a primer of sorts which will stay permalinked in a prominant spot on the front page, where new readers can get a quick catch-up.  Furthermore, I want to use this space to explain terms I use on here a lot (I have gotten several questions on just what I mean by "retcon status"), and hopefully clear things up for the non-comic book fans out there.  The problem, of course, is that this is going to take some time to make really clear and understandable, especially considering the pre- and post-Hawkworld Katar Hol.  

-Villain content -- I know I promised this last time I did one of these posts, and I am still working on exactly how I want to present this, but these are coming.  I promise.

-Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman content -- See what I said about villains above.

-Hawktoys -- Besides actually opening up and talking about the Hawk-related toys I have, I want to track down the ones I want but don't have, as well as shine a spotlight on some more obscure, older, or otherwise hard to find toys.  

-Hawk essays -- I tend to get ideas jumbled in my head, so maybe it would be better for me to get them down on paper and organize them rather than let them rattle around in there.  I was doing pretty well with this at the launch but have since slacked off, and I want to get back into it.

-Wednesday Comics -- Now that the series is done I'll finally get around to posting about it!  Actually I want to read the full story in one sitting and then get into each strip.  That actually was my plan from the start so I don't feel so bad about this.

In addition, I am really going to try to get back on track with my Volume 4 reviews, as well as finishing up Rann-Thanagar Holy War.

So, readers?  What else would you like to see?  What can I improve upon?  I'm always up for criticism (as long as it's not about how much cooler Green Arrow is or something like that...) and improving the blog.  So any thoughts or feedback are greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

IADW said...

Hey Luke - That sounds like a great line-up of features. The only other thing I could think of is if you know where any great Hawkman Wallpapers are?

IADW said...

Also dude - you might want to check out the latest issue of Green Lantern (if you haven't already) for a pretty cool Hawkman moment which might just set up his future.

Saranga said...

hi, been reading a while, but here's my first comment.

your ideas sound great to me. in addition, a continuity explanation would be great..

Luke said...

@danofsteel: Wallpapers would make for a good feature as well. I have found a few in my never-ending search for images. And goings-on in Green Lantern? I'll have to check that out when I hit the LCS tomorrow.

@Saranga: Thanks for your patronage! The Introduction piece I am envisioning as having at least a general continuity overview... but taking Hawkman's continuity into something "simple" is no mean feat. But I'll be giving it a shot!

Diabolu Frank said...

All of the above sound promising, especially the essays and "villain content." That last one, from experience, is very popular.

Saranga said...

@Luke: i'm sure that anything will be useful! I've only read one hawkman volume, and to be honest I came away more a fan of Kendra than Carter, until the series was titled Hawkgirl, then it went crap, but anyway.
The more bits and pieces I rea dof Carter's history (in all his guises and names) confuses the hell out of me!

Steve Neu said...

Sounds like a great plan. I'd add a fan art section or section for hawkman art in general. keep up the great blog!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Luke - All of these are great ideas for the future. The only other ideas I have are: creator interviews; and explaining continuity. You already touched on the history aspect, but a segment or two on just how convoluted Hawkman's continuity became might be fun. Sort of a tongue-in-cheek approach.

I look forward to more great stuff from you!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com
http://firestormfan.com