Friday, June 11, 2010

Original Hawkman Page from Flash Comics #97 by Joe Kubert



Today we are finally finishing up a series of Joe Kubert original art pages from Flash Comics #97!  You can find the previous installments
here, here, here, and here!

In the final page of art (which is page 7 of the story), Hawkman has devised a plan to stop the Muans plan and defeat them, shooting a signal rocket filled with "hypo-salt" into the atmosphere.  As the Muans attempt to feed a victim into their device, Hawkman leads them on a chase, as the ostensibly hypo-salt-infused rain begins to pour down on them.

I really like how Hawkman looks in the first panel, all trim muscle.  Unfortunately that second to last panel is very awkward looking, though the final shot of Hawkman fighting the goons is nice.  I would like to know where Hawkgirl is but I guess something happened to her in the two intermezzo panels!  

I want to give a big thanks to Doug Zawisza, author of the Hawkman Companion for TwoMorrows and curator of the Doom Patrol blog, who hooked me up with these images last year.  Sorry it took so long to get them all run but now everyone can enjoy them!

Image: Page 7 from Hawkman feature in Flash Comics #97, 1948, Joe Kubert, provided by Doug Zawisza

2 comments:

Airship Over Water said...

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something very distinct and stylized about the art in these older comics. I really wish more mainstream DC superhero comics would try and immitate this style -- just to keep it alive, plus it just looks really cool.

I have the first volume of Showcase for Aquaman and it really is two completely different styles from back then and now.

But maybe it's all psychological. Maybe the art hasn't chaged much and just because I think "this is older" then it has to be different.

Great post, nonetheless!

Luke said...

I don't think it is psychological at all.

I think that artists in the Golden and Silver Age had to rely more on their storytelling skills to get the point across, since they were often working in limited space. To my eyes, that is what a lot of even the popular artists nowadays are lacking -- solid storytelling chops. Of course, when your writer gives you page after page of talking heads, it can be hard...

Joe Kubert is one of the kings of storytelling in sequential art. That's why his stuff holds up so darn good no matter the subject!